Thursday 17 May 2018

The Theory


At the first glance of Clark’s buildings, the word chaos penetrated me. 




Through the representation of splitting segments and a sense of figure standing on a demolished land in his work, the form appears to be a monster. This awkward beauty reminds me of Aldous Huxley in his Brave New World: “But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.”  

It appears to me the real danger and the juxtaposition of traditional architecture. Observing later architects such as Luis Kahn and Frank Gehry, the bald usage of geometry penetrating the walls and asymmetric chaotic presentation of sculptural forms can be linked to Clark. 


They as a combination further arouse the idea of embracement. It is the interconnections of different genres of art and forms that brakes the constraints and generate the variety. And it is this rebellion entanglement that sculptures the sometimes slight excitement and sometimes real impact.




No comments:

Post a Comment